Miracast can only be configured and enabled on Airtame 2 devices.
What is Miracast?
The Miracast streaming protocol lets you use the native streaming functionality from Windows and Android devices to Airtame, without the need to have the Airtame app installed, you will only need to be in proximity of your Airtame device.
Note: You will need to enable at least one of Airtame's own Access Points through its settings configuration. This doesn't mean that you have to connect to the AP, you just need to enable it.
Additionally, Miracast allows Windows users to "Extend" their desktop and use Airtame as a separate display.
How to enable Miracast on Airtame Cloud:
- Open your Airtame Cloud account or create one at airtame.cloud
- The Airtame device needs to be updated to firmware version 3.9.0 or later. Check out how to update
- Select a device and go to "Edit Settings"
- Enable Miracast
Make sure that these requirements are applied via the device settings:
- At least one of the Airtame's access point is enabled.
- You must password protect your Airtame access point.
How to use on Windows:
- Make sure that the Airtame device is within proximity of the PC/Laptop.
- Press (Win + P), then choose "Connect to a wireless display", then choose "Select screen" OR Press (Win + K).
- Select the Airtame device you wish to use from the list.
- Your screen should now be mirroring to the TV/Display screen.
If you have enabled PIN code, then you will be prompted to enter an 8-digit PIN that you will see on the screen that your Airtame is connected to. This PIN code will be required every time the Airtame reboots but not when the scheduled Sleep Mode ends.
By default, Miracast on Windows comes with multiple streaming modes which can affect performance and picture quality.
How to use on Android devices:
The steps to mirror from your Android might vary depending on your device. The most common ways are either by using "Smart view", "Screen mirroring", "Quick Connect" or through the Cast settings on your phone.
If you have enabled PIN code, then you will be prompted to enter an 8-digit code that you will see on the screen. If you enter the correct PIN code, the mirroring should then start. This PIN code will be required every time the Airtame reboots but not when the scheduled Sleep Mode ends.
With Miracast, you won't be affected by network firewalls, because the connection is via WiFi directly between the Airtame device and your PC. But you might encounter some of the situations mentioned below.
Knows issues and limitations:
- Your Windows PC might have a firewall configuration that prevents to stream. This issue requires inbound rule for allowing bidirectional TCP traffic through local port 7236 on Windows side.
- For video streaming, Miracast can use any UDP port from 1024 to 65536, which is randomly assigned by the PC.
- At the moment, we do not support Miracast over Infrastructure but we will consider implementing it in future releases.
- We are also considering introducing support for Miracast touchback.
- Airtame 1 devices will not be able to use Miracast.
- If you PC has a secondary monitor attached, it might assign a low resolution to Miracast device. You will just need reconfigure your Windows display once and it will remember it from there on.
Do you have any questions?
You can write to us using the blue chat box in the lower right hand corner or send an email to email@example.com and we will be here to assist you.